Rich chocolate cupcakes topped with vanilla buttercream, stuffed with Oreo cookies throughout. From a hidden cookie at the bottom of the cake, right through to crushed Oreos in the buttercream, it seems that the only thing to make a chocolate cake even better is a cookie!
Yes… I’ve jumped on the bandwagon and continued this trend. I was too intrigued not to try! What’s not to like about the idea of combining cookies and cake?!
I still remember when I found out Oreos were dairy free. It was like the light at the end of the tunnel smacked me in the face! Because not only did it mean I could actually eat Oreos… but I also started checking other biscuit types to see what they were made of. And lo and behold, quite a lot of surprising biscuits are dairy free! Take the classic, chocolate bourbon biscuit. Most of them are dairy free! So if you ever want to butter me up (not literally of course), a sneaky dairy free Oreo or bourbon biscuit is the way to do it.
However, getting back to the point of these cakes – I really was intrigued by the idea of combining biscuits and cakes. Like a good mash-up song, it seemed like something that should really work, and great news – it did! The cakes are typically moreish, and with a soft, vanilla flavoured buttercream, it would have been hard to go wrong. But then add in a crunchy, surprise oreo hidden at the bottom of the cupcake. And add some crushed oreos to the cake and buttercream for little, crispy nuggets of flavour and you are on to an absolute winner!
I can by no means claim to be the genius who first came up with this idea… however, it has left me with a lot of thoughts of what else could we make a hybrid out of…. watch this space!
Makes 6 cupcakes, takes 30 minutes plus baking and cooling time.
- 8 Oreo cookies
- 60g dairy free butter
- 60g golden caster sugar
- 1 large egg (about 60g in weight)
- 60g self raising flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 60g dairy free butter
- 120g icing sugar
- 6 Oreo cookies
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees, and line a 6 hole cupcake tray with cases. Place 1 Oreo in the bottom of each case.
- Finely chop the remaining 2 Oreos and set aside. In a large bowl, add all the remaining cupcake ingredients and mix thoroughly. Mix in the chopped Oreos.
- Evenly split the cake batter between the 6 cases, and bake in the preheated oven for 17 – 20 minutes, until a skewer comes out clean from the centre. Leave to cool on a wire rack.
- Make the buttercream; finely chop 3 of the Oreos (I actually did this in a food processor to get it fine!) and leave to one side.
- Beat the dairy free butter and icing sugar together using an electric or hand held whisk until light and fluffy. When done, beat in the Oreos. Pipe or spoon the buttercream on each cupcake, and top with half an Oreo.