A quick and simple 5 ingredient fruit tart – Flakey puff pastry topped with jam and fresh fruit, served with ice cream. Perfect if you’re in a hurry!
Catering for anyone with an allergy is hard; I know a lot of my friends over the years have worried about how and what they will cook for me, and one meal still seems to flummox the best of them – dessert! So far the desserts on my blog have catered more towards someone who has had to give up dairy – to show them the impossible is possible – however not everyone has the time or inclination to make them. Sometimes you just want a quick and simple dessert whether it’s to make for yourself or for someone else.
And so it is this dilemma that has inspired this post; here I present a simple 5 ingredient dessert, which only features 1 dairy free ingredient! How have I done this, I hear you say? Well, with one of my shop-bought-dairy-free-life-savers – pre-made puff pastry. I remember the first time I realised that most pre-made puff pastry didn’t actually have any milk in it… it was like a world of possibilities opened up in front of me. Along with the pastry, the other ingredients are jam, fruit, sugar and dairy-free ice cream.
The ingredient list might seem a bit vague but this is the beauty of it – so simple, and so versatile. The hardest thing you need to do is work out which fruit and jam combination you want to use! The flavour combinations really are endless; Pear & raspberry, apricot & rhubarb, apple & berries, peaches & orange marmalade, even banana and dairy-free chocolate spread would work!
So next time you need to bake a dairy free dessert for someone and get stuck, remember the puff pastry magic and get creative!
Serves 6. Takes 5 – 10 minutes (depending on how much preparation is needed for your fruit!), plus baking time.
- 1 sheet pre-made, pre rolled puff pastry (check the ingredients to ensure it is dairy-free)
- 4 tbsp jam, marmalade or spread
- Fruit, prepared into bite size pieces (I used 1& 1/2 eating apples).
- 2 tbsp sugar (you might need more or less depending on the tartness of the fruit)
- Dairy free ice cream to serve (I like Swedish Glace, Vanilla)
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
- Line a large baking tray with grease proof paper.
- Cut the pre-rolled puff pastry into 3 equal sized rectangles.
- Score 1cm around the outside of each rectangle, being careful not to cut the pastry all the way through, and then prick the inner rectangle all over with a fork.
- Spread the jam evenly inside the rectangle.
- Neatly spread your fruit on top of the jam layer.
- Sprinkle the sugar all over the fruit and pastry.
- Bake for 12 – 15 minutes, cool slightly, then serve with ice cream.